- 4 Portobello mushrooms, gills and stems removed
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into thin strips
- ½ head of chicory lettuce
- 240g (8.4 oz.) goat cheese
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- white balsamic vinegar, to drizzle
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- Slice mushrooms horizontally into thirds. Toss mushrooms with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt to taste.
- Grill mushrooms until tender and set aside. In a skillet over low heat, sauté ½ onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil over low heat until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, toss lettuce with remaining onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt to taste.
- Assemble by plating bottom layer of mushroom, topping with salad mixture, then goat cheese. Repeat layering and finish with top of mushroom.
Portobello mushrooms can easily measure six inches in diameter, and have a meaty, rich flavour. For a cleaner presentation, the outer skin of the mushrooms can be peeled off and the gills removed.