- 4 Italian eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 8 button mushrooms, chopped
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 lemons
- ½ cup (125 ml) bread crumbs
- ½ cup (125 ml) parmigiano cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, hollow out each eggplant half.
- Prepare 2 pots of boiling water, and to each add salt and juice of 1 lemon.
- In one pot, add exterior part of eggplant, and into the other, the flesh. Cook both on high heat for roughly 5 minutes, then drain.
- Chop the flesh finely and in a skillet, over high heat, sauté in oil with garlic, onion and mushrooms. Transfer to a bowl and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheeses, bread crumbs, and parsley. Place exterior of eggplant, hollow side up, on a baking sheet. Fill each with mixture and bake for 10 minutes.
- Stuffing vegetables such as eggplants is a Mediterranean way of cooking. Italian eggplants are used in this recipe because their size is perfect for individual portions, and they are sweet. Elements of this stuffing can be left up to interpretation, and additions such as ground meats and rice can easily be added.