- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) of Quebec carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 potato, washed and diced
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Baguette bread
- 250 ml (1 cup) shredded gruyere cheese (approx. 100 g or 3 1/2 oz.)
- In a pot, brown onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add carrots, potato, hot stock and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for around thirty minutes.
- Puree in food processor. Pour soup into soup bowls. Lay one or two slices of toasted baguette on each bowl and sprinkle with shredded gruyere. Set under broiler to brown. Decorate with paprika and serve*.
*This soup can be enjoyed all year round. Served in winter with toast and cheese, it is the perfect comfort food.