- 6 firm McIntosh apples, with stems
- Lemon juice
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 60 g (2 oz.) unripened goat cheese, crumbled
- 30 ml (6 tsp.) cane sugar
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Choose nice big McIntosh apples and hollow them out, taking care not to pierce the peel. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Pour cream and vanilla into top of a double boiler, heat to scalding. Mix granulated sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl. Mix a little hot cream mixture to egg mixture and then pour all egg mixture into double boiler, stirring for 5 min.
- Put apple bowls into a baking pan. Fill apples to 3/4 with cream mixture and cover with crumbled cheese. Bake for 15 min. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle each apple with 5 ml (1 tsp.) cane sugar and broil until golden.