- 4 large Quebec carrots, peeled
- Cooking oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 medium Quebec leek, thinly sliced
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 450 g (1 lb.) assorted mushrooms (portobello, chanterelles, oyster mushrooms), chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) dried oregano
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) light sour cream
- 4 200-g (1/2-lb.) skinned halibut steaks
- Chives for garnish
- Heat fryer. Using a mandolin, slice carrots lengthwise. Dry carrots and fry until they curl. Place on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Season.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Sweat shallots, leek and cayenne pepper. Add mushrooms and oregano. Brown. When half cooked, add wine, lemon juice and sour cream. Turn heat up to medium-high. Reduce liquid by half while stirring constantly. In a non-stick skillet, brown halibut steaks in 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter. When nicely browned, lay halibut on mushroom mixture. Cover and finish cooking over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or just until tender.
- Serve by placing a nest of mushrooms in the center of each plate. Lay a halibut steak on top and garnish with a few crispy carrot curls and a few whole chives. Add a side dish of braised leek or other favourite Quebec vegetable.