- 250 ml (1 cup) pickling salt
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 900 g (2 lbs) red Quebec pearl onions
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) granulated sugar
- Blanch unpeeled onions in a pot of boiling water; dip in ice water and peel.
- Transfer onions to a large bowl. Add salt and 3 cups water; cover and let stand in a cool area for 24 hrs. Rinse and drain. Mix vinegar and sugar in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, fill hot sterilized* pickling jars with blanched onions. Add a piece of garlic to each jar. Immediately fill each jar of onions with boiling vinegar mixture. Hermetically seal.
* Important: You must follow the manufacturer’s instructions for sterilizing pickling jars and their lids. Strict application of the procedure and times indicated for heat treatment will ensure elimination of certain heat-resistant micro-organisms.