- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) vanilla extract
- 425 ml (1 3/4 cups) sugar
- 1 large Quebec apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) sunflower or vegetable oil
- 675 ml (2 3/4 cups) grated raw Quebec beets, around 4 medium-sized beets
- 250 g (1/2 lb, i.e. 1 cup) mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- Zest of half a lemon, grated or minced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Quebec honey
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, vanilla and sugar. Add apple, oil and beets. Fold liquid ingredients into dry ingredients without over mixing.
- Pour batter into two 25-cm (8-in.) buttered and floured cake molds. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from molds. Allow to cool completely.
- Beat mascarpone with a wooden spoon and add other ingredients. Beat well and spread half the icing on the top of the first layer. Put second layer on top and cover with icing. If desired, garnish with coarsely chopped pecans and crispy beet leaves.
- To make decorative beet leaves, finely slice a raw beet (using a mandolin) and brush both sides with maple syrup. Lay out on a pastry sheet lined with parchment paper or baking mat and bake in an oven preheated to 150°C (300°F) for 25 to 30 minutes or until slices are crisp. Transfer immediately to a rack to cool.