- 3 yellow Quebec summer squashes
- 3 green Quebec summer squashes
- 3 small Quebec eggplants
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) balsamic vinegar
- 1 mozzarella di Bufala or 1 mozzarina, cut into 30 pieces
- 30 basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Reduced balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice squashes and eggplant lengthwise with a mandolin. Mix oil and vinegar. Lay slices on a pastry sheet, brush with marinate and season.
- Heat barbecue to high and lay slices on rack. Lower heat and barbecue for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer back to pastry sheet without layering and cool.
- Lay out eggplant on work surface and, top each slice with a slice of squash, a basil leaf and a piece of mozzarella. Season and roll up. Arrange on a serving plate, and, if desired, drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil and a few drops of reduced balsamic vinegar.
*The secret of success with this recipe is to slice the vegetables really thin. If you don’t have a mandolin, use a very sharp knife to slice de eggplant as thinly as possible. You could also bake the vegetables in an oven preheated to 180°C (350°F). Lay the slices on a pastry sheet and bake for 2 to 3 minute on each side.