- 1 pat butter
- 500 ml (2 cups) Quebec pumpkin, peeled and finely sliced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) Quebec parsnip, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 shallots, minced
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- 250 ml (1 cup) 15% cream
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated strong cheddar or other strong cheese
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) peeled, finely sliced Quebec butternut squash
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) peeled and finely sliced Quebec celeriac
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Butter a 23-cm (9-in.) gratin platter and layer slices of pumpkin and parsnip. Season, sprinkle with half the shallots and nutmeg; pour on half the cream and sprinkle with half the cheese. Layer slices of squash and celeriac. Season and add the rest of the shallots, a little nutmeg and the rest of the cream and cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 10 to 15 more minutes or until the vegetables are well cooked. To brown the top, broil for a few minutes.