- 6 large Quebec onions
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 227 g (8 oz) Quebec coffee mushrooms, diced
- 250 g (1/2 lb.) ham, diced
- 1 egg
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) bread crumbs
- 2 Quebec celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Nutmeg, ground
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Peel onions without cutting the base. Cook in a pot of boiling water over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from water and cool. Cut off the tops about one third of the way down. Using a pointy knife, hollow out centre of each onion.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high and sear mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes. Mix ham, egg, olive oil, bread crumbs, celery, garlic, parmesan, nutmeg and mushrooms in a large bowl. Season and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Using a teaspoon, stuff onions and stand in an oiled dish; bake for 40 minutes. If desired, accompany with sautéed Swiss chard or other green vegetable.