- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 zucchinis, diced
- 2 white potatoes, diced
- 3 leeks, finely chopped
- 12 zucchini blossoms, chopped
- 300g (10.5 oz.) fresh peas, shelled
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) parsley, finely chopped to garnish
- 6 cups (1.5 L) still water
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- parmigiano cheese, grated, to taste
- fresh basil, for garnish
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, sweat onions and garlic with 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add all diced vegetables along with water and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for approximately 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add parsley, basil, and parmigiano to pot and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to serve.
Almost any vegetable can be used to make a delicious, healthy soup. Traditionally, Italian minestra uses staples such as potatoes and tomatoes. Minestrone can range from broth-like to stew-like, depending on the quantity of liquid added.