- 4 slices of bread, preferably baguette
- 2 medium eggplants, chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pepper, any colour, sliced lengthwise
- ½ large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parsley, torn, to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil along with onion and garlic, and cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, toast bread in 250°F oven, or toaster, and set aside.
- Add remaining vegetables, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season vegetables with salt, pepper, and parsley. Top each bread slice with vegetables.
Originating from southern France, a traditional Ratatouille recipe includes tomatoes and fresh vegetables. This dish is best topped with a hard, salty cheese.