- 2 pinches of saffron
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 1 small Quebec yellow onion, minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) ground cumin
- 1.2 ml (1/4 tsp.) paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) minced fresh parsley
- 24 Quebec cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 or 4 Quebec green and/or yellow summer squashes, finely sliced
- Fresh herbs to garnish: flat (Italian) parsley, mint, tarragon,
- Basil and thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, infuse saffron in 30 ml (2 tbsp.) warm water for 10 minutes. Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet, add onion, cumin and paprika and cook slowly over low heat for 15 minutes. Add garlic and saffron and continue cooking for 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, cool and add lemon juice and parsley. Set aside.
- Delicately toss tomatoes with olive oil and season. Arrange slices of summer squash in serving plates and top with onion condiment. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs to taste.