- 1/2 400-g ( 14-oz.) pkg. of puff pastry dough
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
- 2 shallots, minced or 250 ml (1 cup) pearl onions
- 1 tray of button mushrooms
- 1 tray Quebec mushrooms of your choice (shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, etc.)
- 1 branch of thyme
- 250 ml (1 cup) demiglace sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cream
- 500 ml (2 cups) cooked chicken cubes
- 10 ml (2 tbsp.) snipped fresh tarragon
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Roll out dough on a slightly floured surface. Cut into six 10 cm x 13 cm (4 in. x 5 in.) rectangles and place on a cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg yolk. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until crust is crispy and golden. Cool on a rack and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pot and brown shallots over low heat for 5 minutes or until shallots start to colour; stir regularly and season with salt while browning. Add mushrooms and branch of thyme; continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove thyme, pour in demiglace sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes. Add cream, chicken cubes and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Reheat the puff pastry for a few minutes in the hot oven and cut horizontally; transfer one bottom half to each plate.
- Using a slotted spoon, top each bottom half with some mushroom-chicken mixture. Add more sauce over chicken and cover with pastry top.
- Serve with steamed broccoli.