- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) cornstarch
- 500 ml (2 cups) ice water
- 8 1-cm (1/2-in.) slices peeled Quebec sweet potato
- 4 1-cm (1/2-in.) slices onion
- 8 1-cm (1/2-in.) slices summer squash
- 8 broccoli florets
- 8 strips red fish, trimmed
- 12 green beans, snapped
- 250 g (1/2 lb) tofu, sliced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) tamari soy sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) lime juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) finely grated fresh ginger
Preheat oil in fryer to 180°C (350°F).
- Beat egg yolks with water in a bowl for 1 minute. In a separate bowl, mix flour and cornstarch, and make a well. Pour in egg mixture. Whisk for 5 seconds. The batter does not have to be smooth to use.
- Dip a few pieces of filling ingredients at a time into batter and drain off excess on side of bowl. Fry until golden. Lie on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven while frying other ingredients.
- Mix sauce ingredients and serve with tempura.