- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 2 medium Quebec leeks or 750 ml (3 cups) 5-mm (1/4-in.) slices, white part only
- 250 ml (1 cup) 15% cooking cream or 35% cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
- 16 large scallops or shelled shrimp
- 1 tomato, finely diced and seeded
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) minced pecans
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) orange zest
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet and brown leek stirring regularly over low heat for 20 minutes until leek is thoroughly cooked. Season with salt while cooking.
- Mix in cream and nutmeg, and season to taste. Cook for a few more minutes and set aside keeping warm.
- Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet over high heat; sauté scallops/shrimp 1 or 2 minutes on each side. Season while cooking.
- Serve immediately over melted leek and garnish with a mixture of diced tomatoes, chopped pecans, orange zest and olive oil seasoned to taste.
Make this recipe in large quantities without adding cream and freeze to have some on hand all winter long.
Variations: Use to spread on bruschettas or to accompany poultry, fish or shellfish, etc.