- 1 750-g (1 1/2-lb) Quebec butternut squash
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic bulb, separated into unpeeled cloves
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) dried sage or thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 500 g (1 lb) ready-made pizza or bread dough
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) additional olive oil
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) crumbled goat cheese
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Cut butternut squash in half, remove fibres and seeds. Brush cut side with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Lay cut side down on a cookie sheet, taking care to place garlic cloves in cavity.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until flesh is soft. Cool. Scoop out squash with a spoon. Mash flesh with a fork until it resembles a coarse purée. Peel and mash garlic with a fork; add to mashed squash. Add sage and thyme. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Brown onion in oil in a skillet over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes until thoroughly caramelized. Season while cooking. Set aside.
- On a slightly floured surface, roll out dough to form a 30-cm (12-in.) pizza. Lay pizza dough on a slightly oiled cookie sheet or pizza plate. Brush surface with oil, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 15 minutes. Spread squash purée over pizza leaving a 1-cm (1/2-in.) border. Cover with caramelized onions and sprinkle with goat cheese and parmesan.
- Turn oven temperature to 200°C (400°F). Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until crust is golden. Serve with radicchio salad.