- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) butter
- 1 large Quebec onion, finely sliced
- 4 large beets, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cabbage, cubed
- 1 227-g (8-oz.) tray of Quebec mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1.5 L (6 cups) chicken stock
- 2 branches of fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, washed and pricked many times with a fork
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) coarsely chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large pot, add onions, beets and carrots, cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove lemon.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with sour cream and chives and serve with croutons.