- 500 ml (2 cups) Quebec red rhubarb, fresh or frozen, cut into 2.5-cm (1") pieces
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) soft butter
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 1 294-ml (approx. 10-oz.) can clementines, drained
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) salt
- Juice and zest of a large orange
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter at room temperature
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- If frozen rhubarb is used, thaw and dry with paper towel. Butter a 23-cm (9”) square cake tin.
Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, then cover with rhubarb and clementines.
- Mix flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add part of the orange zest.
- Cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. Blend in eggs, one at a time. Add orange juice and milk. Sprinkle with the rest of the orange zest. Set aside.
- Beating at low speed, slowly add flour. Beat just till smooth, no more. Fill mould with cake batter. Tap on counter to release any air bubbles. Bake in center of oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and turn it upside down of a cake plate. Allow to cool before serving. Garnish with ice cream if desired.