- 1/2 Quebec Hubbard squash (approximately 1 litre / 4 cups finely sliced squash)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 375 g (13 oz.) sliced ham (Polish or Black Forest)
- 120 g (4 oz.) Swiss cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) minced fresh parsley
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) 15% cream
Preheat oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Peel and finely slice squash.
- In a buttered gratin dish, layer half the squash with half the ham and sprinkle with half the cheese and parsley. Repeat layers.
- Dot with pats of butter. Season with pepper.
- Pour enough milk and cream to barely cover.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Place in center of oven. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil. Continue baking uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the gratin is golden and the squash is tender.
* You can use any other type of squash. Just make sure you have enough to obtain 1 litre (4 cups) of sliced squash. So it may be necessary to use more than half a squash as indicated.