- 800 g (1 3/4 lb) of cubed stewing veal or pork tenderloin cut into pieces
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) of Quebec-grown root vegetables (3 beets, 2 parsnips, 2 carrots of any variety, 3 small purple potatoes)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Water, as needed
- Wash and cut the vegetables into rough pieces. Brown the meat in olive oil in a large Dutch oven over a low heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, thyme and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with water (about 4 cups) and bring to a boil. Skim the foam off as needed. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the beets and cook for another 30 minutes. Add the other root vegetables and simmer for 30 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender. Serve with couscous.
If you prefer a thicker sauce (as shown in the photo), remove the meat and vegetables from the stock and reduce it over a medium heat for twenty more minutes.