- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) of flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of softened butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of sour cream
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) of maple syrup
- 2 cups (500 ml) of rhubarb into pieces (about 1-2 cm long)
- 2 cups(500 ml) of stawberries chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) strawberries diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) of 35 % whipping cream
Preparation of cake
- Preheat oven to 180˚ C (350˚ F).
- In a bowl, mix the flour and backing powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the butter whit the sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, the vanilla and the sour cream.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients gradually.
Apply butter on ovenproof dish (8 x 12 inches, 23 x 33 cm). Place the chopped strawberries and rhubarb in the dish and cover with maple syrup.
- Pour cake mix over the fruits, smooth top and bake 40 to 50 minutes.
- The cake is cooked when it’s golden on top or when you insert a toothpick and it will come out clean.
- Let cool about 30 minutes or until the cake in no longer hot and juicy. Return the cake on a plat. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream to make whipped cream. When the cream has set, add the diced strawberries and mix again 1 minute.
- Cut the cake to have the basic for a large and a small piece to overlap.
- Spread some whipped cream with strawberries on the base piece. Place the small piece above and extend the remaining whipped cream.